Dalits demand inclusive approach in drought response
Drought affected dalit families submit demands to district and State officials on the neglect of Dalits in Drought Response by state actors and hold State Level Consultations for Demanding Inclusion of Dalits in Drought response in Bundelkhand, Maharashtra and Telangana States.
In continuation to the efforts at community level for ensuring realization of entitlements to drought affected dalit families, National Dalit Watch along with NDMJ-MH, BDAM, and DBSU organized public meetings cum consultations in Jalaun, Washim and Hyderabad on 3rd, 13th and 17th October 2016 respectively.
The meetings focused on
- Collective sharing of the cases of neglect in drought responses by state and non-state agencies by communities
- Interface between government and communities for demanding the inclusion of Dalits in Drought responses
- Taking stock of the progress made on the inclusion monitoring efforts by local Dalit Human rights organizations
- More than 300 community members have participated in the meetings to share their issues on neglect in drought response
- Participation of DDMA members in Maharashtra and have assured better services for the drought hit Dalits in the area
- SC commission Secretary of Telanagana Mr Subba Rao (IAS Rtd.,) has assured actions into the issues of neglect of relief to Dalit families
- Submission of Demands to the district officials for follow up on the issues related to the neglect of Dalits